Autumn / Winter Wonderland
Brighten up your doorstep with a pot packed with colourful autumn plants. Pick ‘n’ mix from our extensive selection of bedding plant packs, small potted plants and pots.
Plant Up A Pot For Autumn
Plant taller plants, like the lime-green, feathery conifer ‘Wilma’ or an exotic-looking Cordyline, as a centre piece surrounded by smaller plants like Dianthus, Heather, Gaultheria, Sedum, Grasses or Ferns. Choose evergreens as these will provide colour and interest all year round. Mix in a few pretty bedding plants like Pansies, Violas, Primulas or Primroses. Trail Ivy, Lamium or Creeping Jenny over the sides. Think ahead to spring – pop in some small bulbs such as Snowdrops, Winter aconites, dwarf Narcissi, Crocus, Anemone blanda or Muscari.
You will be spoilt for choice! Our friendly plant team are happy to help you.
Top Tips for Pots
1. Use New Horizon All Plant Compost (peat-free) or Gro-Sure Easy Container Compost.
2. A large pot approx. 18-24” diameter will fit 10-15 small plants.
3. Make sure that your pot drains freely, as wet soil, especially in winter, kills plants. There should be drainage holes in the base of the pot. You may have to puncture or drill holes into the bottom of plastic pots. Place some crocks over the drainage holes and raise the pot up on to pot feet. On the other hand, remember to water your pots during dry spells.
4. Dead-head flowers to prolong your display.
Prepare Garden Plants For Winter
- Move tender plants, like half-hardy Fuchsias and Bay trees into an unheated greenhouse or sheltered porch.
- Outdoors, gather pots together in a sheltered spot beside a house wall to protect them from the worst of the winter weather.
- Shorten long branches of Buddleja, Cotoneasters and Roses or tie in, to reduce wind damage.
- In exposed sites, protect newly planted trees, particularly conifers and evergreen trees and hedges, from icy blasts using windbreaks made of fine mesh or fleece attached to posts, stakes or canes.