28 July 2017 by Dr Jane Bingham
Crescendo of Colour at The Mains of Drum
Make sure that your flower garden is looking dazzling right now. Choose from our fabulous range of flowering shrubs, like Hydrangeas, Buddlejas and Roses, and a plethora of vibrant herbaceous perennials.
Turn up the heat with hot and vivid colours, like purples, pinks, reds and oranges (while stock lasts).
On Special Offer during August
25% off Roses, Rhododendrons, our spectacular collection of Niwaki-trained trees, and all of the trees on the ornamental tree lines.
We also have 30% off Camellias and Magnolias at the moment.
Reminders for August
- Keep your Camellias and Rhododendrons well watered at this time of year to ensure that next year’s buds develop well.
- Prune summer flowering shrubs once they have finished blooming.
- Continue to feed hanging baskets and containers to prolong the display of flowers. Use Phostrogen or Tomorite.
- Continually deadhead flowers to encourage more to follow.
- Feed Tomatoes regularly with a high-potash feed (e.g. Tomorite).
- Harvest Chillies – they keep well in the fridge or you can freeze or dry them.
- Keep harvesting Courgettes before they become too big!
- Apply a top dressing of fertiliser to long season crops like Brussels sprouts, Kale and Leeks.
- Clear away any diseased and spent foliage on and around your veg plants to discourage pests and diseases from spreading.
- Keep on top of weeds as they compete with your crops for nutrients and water.
- Remember to water fruit trees, particularly those growing in dry soil at the base of walls, to help the developing fruits to swell.
- Sow new lawns now, choosing a seed mix that is appropriate to how the lawn will be used.
- Give evergreen hedges like Holly, Laurel, Yew and Box their final trim of the season.